Friday, October 07, 2005

Flash Flood!!!

We are under a flash flood here in Gaffney. The house is dry but I think the bridge on the driveway is wiped out. There is a huge river rushing in the backyard where it is normally dry, and the creek in the front yard has gone from it's normal width of about 10 feet to about 150 feet and it's normal depth of a few inches to about 9 feet. I estimate the water is about 3 feet over the top of the bridge. The rain may continue until monday so it looks like we will be trapped a while. There is no way off the property by car while the bridge is under water. As of right now, the power is still on, but who knows...

3 Comments:

At 8:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a boat?
We are under a flood warning here in virginia and it has been raining all day,and supposed to rain all night.It is very wet but nothing like what you described.
Hey, maybe it will wash your ants away. Anyway be safe and hopefully you wont have any property damage.

Jake

 
At 6:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must be getting that tropical storm that came up from the coast of Florida! Are you in a low spot where your trailer sits? We are also getting lots of rain as Jake said. We were so dry for a month or more and now! Thank you Lord but now you can turn it off! It started here thursday night and is still coming down. Keep us updated on your situation! Love, Mom

 
At 7:21 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Well, the rain let up last night, and things are looing better. The bridge appears to be intact! I can't belive that it survived under that much water. Even some of the state bridges around here got washed out! We did lose alot of driveway gravel, but I guess I can't complain too much.
I was also able to finally get out to the mailbox and pick up our soaking wet mail and found that we had got our readjusted property tax bill and it was much lower and much better, only about $210.00 compared to the original $1100.00.
We have alot to be thankful for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home