Saturday, September 23, 2006

Experimenting

Hi. I'll try to keep this brief as I don't want to bore anybody too badly.
I have been playing lately with a program that someone at work shared with me. It is known as a Wiki (have you ever been to wikipedia.com?). The point is that anyone who accesses the webpage can edit the page. Some wikis require you to set up a username and password and others are completely unrestricted.

The one that I have been playing with is known as SOKS. You can view an example at www.soks.org. If you notice at the very bottom of the page, there is an "Edit this page" link. You can click this and change something. Don't get too carried away, because you may mess it up, but just change a word to something else. I changed "to" to "2". You can change it back, if you like. Then click on save changes.

This is completely free and so I downloaded the software and have it running on my machine. It also has a built in server. So without going into too much more detail, I would like you all to try something.

I talked with Pop for probably an hour last night about all kinds of things and had him try this, but I think that I gave him some bad information, so, Pop, I would like you to try this again also.

Go into your web browser and enter the link that I will be emailing to each of you. I don't want to put it here for security reasons as it contains my IP address. This should connect you directly to the server running on my computer. If you make changes to the page, you will be changing the files on my computer. There is no in-between entity storing this data.

If this works, it will be kind of neat. I'm not sure exactly what I will use it for, yet, but just want to see if I can make it work first.

Thanks!!!

1 Comments:

At 8:10 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Hey Justin. I love wikipedia. It's one of the best sites on the whole internet in my opinion. I've never tried editing an article though. I'll check out that email.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home