Saturday, September 03, 2005

What we've been reading...

Sara and I have been reading the book "Gentian Hill," by Elizabeth Goudge for the last month or so. Usually we just read a small section aloud after dinner, and it is a nice excuse to sit at the table for a while. The book glorifies simple farm and community life, as it is seen through the eyes of the young girl, Stella. The main events take place in England at Weekaborough farm, during the time of the Napoleonic threat. While the book may at a minimum be described as something of an adventure / romance, there is actually a lot of edifying content here. One thing that stands out is the way in which the Christian faith and Church are portrayed as not just a good part of life, but as part of the story of life itself, without which life would not be the same, or even work at all. One example of this is found in Goudge's description of the plowing of the oxen on the farm. The plowmen sing the latin mass to move the oxen, and when they stop singing, the oxen stop. Goudge writes,

"Sol fitted no word's to his music; if there had ever geen words he had never known them, and neither had his father; his chanting was a succession of vowel souds flowing so ffortlessly that, though there were no words, they nevertheless gave the impression of ordered language. But Zachary quite unconciously found himself singing actual words. Et introibo ad altare Dei; ad Deum, qui laetificat juventutem meam. (And I will go unto the altar of God; to God who giveth joy to my youth.) He was unaware that he was singing words from the mass, unaware that this chant of the plough had centuries ago found its way fromt the chanting of the monks at Torre to the fields of the countryside about it."

Another thing that is encouraging about this book is the story of Stella's education. She attends a private class one day a week by a Doctor Crane, who volunteered to instruct her because he recognized in her love for knowledge. Mostly he just reads to her, and tells her stories. Some about ancient heroes, others about the history of their Village and its landmarks. His methods of teaching are never boring, and remind me alot of the teaching methods of Jesus. For instance, he almost always combines eating with teaching, and traveling is always an opportunity for a story.

Lastly, I think the book demonstrates a very positive view of life and creation in general. Life is upheld as valuable and worthwhile. Animals are treated with compassion and nature with affection. And, in the relationships between Stella and her adopted family, and Zachary, and Dr Crane, there is portrayed a harmony of community which itself is a matter worth studying, whereever it may be found.

We're only about half-way through the book, but obviously, we are enjoying it. It's probably not one of the great books of western literature or anything like that, but it's a fun diversion. I'd be interested to hear what some of you guys are reading out there..

3 Comments:

At 6:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a very interesting book! It won't be long before you will be reading the Little House Series to your girls! Mom

 
At 6:10 AM , Blogger Justin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:36 AM , Blogger Justin said...

I've been reading lots of things. I read the news every now and then, sometimes just the want ads. An when I'm not doing that, I read roadsigns, the back of cereal boxes, junkmail, work assignments, and email. There is so much more, but I can't list it all here. I am really an avid reader. hehe :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home