Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Tax time savings !

Just wanted to make a comment that the HR Block online tax program that Luke and I both used last year has gotten more expensive. I did federal and state for 19.95 last year as I remember it. This year it was going to be that just for Federal and another 25.00 for the state program.

Give TAXACT a try. It is basically the same thing and offers a package deal of only 15.00 for the whole deal, both Federal and state.

In order to transfer the necessary information from last year's return, (if you used HRBlock) you can download last year's return on the HRBlock website and download it as a PDF(Acrobat) file.

I am just about done with mine and it worked very nicely.

2 Comments:

At 7:54 PM , Blogger Sara said...

I've never paid anything to file mine. I do use H&R Block but I follow the link from the IRS website here:

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

Here's a quote from that IRS website:

"Whoever said there is no such thing as a free lunch may have been right. But for millions of eligible taxpayers, with an Adjusted Gross Income of $50,000 or less, there is Free File. Free File is online tax preparation and electronic filing through a partnership agreement between the IRS and the Free File Alliance, LLC. In other words, you can e-file... free. "

As far as my state return, I can e-file it for free via the South Carolina department of revenue's website: SCTAX.ORG

I've done my federal return by E-file that way for about four years. Prior to that, I always did the paper forms and mailed them in. South Carolina just started their own free e-file program for state taxes last year.

However, I'm not ready to do my taxes yet this year. Two things I'm waiting on. One, I haven't got my w-2 yet, but I should be getting it on friday. And two, we still haven't got a SSN for Miriam. We had quite a difficult time in getting a birth certificate granted (we still haven't got it, but we have been assured that it is coming) due to the unassisted homebirth and the fact of minimal pre-natal on Sara's part. For a long time, we were being told that we didn't have enough proof that Miriam was even born!

Anyway, hopefully the papers will come in time to do the taxes. Otherwise, maybe I can file an extension or something.

 
At 11:04 AM , Blogger Justin said...

Hey, thanks ! I had forgotten about linking to it from the irs site. I might just have to do that. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home