Sunday, November 05, 2006

Who are These Little Cowboys? (a little family history)


This does not seem so very long ago! We were living in Sumerduck,Virginia. Life was very good there. We had a big house with two full size kitchens. One was in the basement and I did all the cooking down there during the hot summer months. I did a lot of canning in that basement kitchen. I would do more than a hundred qts of green beans and also that many tomatoes. We had a big garden which all that came out of and also a goat we were getting about three quarts of milk from a day. We had good neighbors that were as close and helpful as family...The Holmes and the Embreys. They are now all with the Lord. Life was simple and sweet. We moved there before Jacob was born and sold the house when Julia was a newborn. So we were there about 4 years. We tried to move to Tennessee as I wanted to live closer to my mother but that didn't work out!

6 Comments:

At 11:26 AM , Blogger Sara said...

I don't remember a whole lot about living in summerduck except two things that come to mind right away. One was sitting on the metal outdoor furniture over at the holmes house and the other thing I remember is looking down the driveway and thinking how far it looked down to the road which I know was not very far. Of course I remember playing at the Embreys.

 
At 11:49 AM , Blogger Justin said...

I remember the Holmes' cherry tree. I remember riding bikes there and a little about the garage. I remember a bird's egg that Pop kept up on top of his workbench in the garage and would take it down now and then to show it to us. I remember the front porch and waiting for Pop to come home. I remember picking apples from the apple trees and eating honeysuckle along the fenceline. I remember when Pop dug the fencepost holes for the fence that had the sliding gate and putting us down into them. I remember eating "snacks" that Mom made for us out on the well cover. I remember the old car that was parked at the back of the driveway and we would pretend we were driving it. I think that was probably around the time we were watching Duke's of Hazzard. Best of all, I remember getting asking God to save me in that house in front of the old rocking chair.

 
At 12:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories. You have brought tears to my eyes. Love, Mom

 
At 6:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I remember is a toy duck Mrs Embrey kept in a cupboad in her ktchen. I think I would pull it with a string and it would wobble. I have no memories of our house there though.

 
At 6:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me...Jacob. If you could send us an invitation to register I'd appreciate it, Luke.

 
At 8:40 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Jacob - there's more to it than that. You have to sign up for a blogger acount and get a username before I can invite you. When you get a username don't post it here but email it to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home