I have a new PC !!!
I am very excited to finally have a new pc ! I had been using the first one I ever purchased up until this last week. I purchased it after getting the job with CTG, but before I left for Mississippi. It had been showing its age for quite some time and Microsoft just recently ended all support for the Windows 98 operating system. No more security updates were being created and it had known security flaws that WILL NOT be fixed according to Microsoft.
It was high time for an upgrade.
I found a good deal on Ebay and am up and running with Windows XP (home version). The entire story of acquiring the pc and getting it use-worthy is a long story and so I will forgo the details; but...I ended up with a very nice machine for a very sweet price. Machine is an HP A1200Y. It has an intel 2.93 Ghz processor and 512 megs of ram. It has an internal cd/dvd burner, a 5-in-one media card reader in the front and an incredible sound system with outs for multiple speakers and subwoofers. It also came with a flat panel LCD display.
I also got an all-in-one printer, fax, scanner, and copier from a guy at work absolutely free. He had an ink cartridge that leaked inside and didn't want to mess with it, so he bought himself a new one. I cleaned it out and it works superbly.
I feel like I'm back in the game as far as technology is concerned. I can finally compete with you guys again. :)
Luke, do you have high speed internet now? I noticed the guitar funny that you posted. That was hilarious, by the way.

11 Comments:
Justin, sounds to me like you have a pretty nice computer there. A flat panel screen too, now that's really nice! How large is it? I've noticed with some LCD's you can't view from an angle. Is that the case with yours? How large is the hard drive? Are you going to hook up speakers to the sound system? I just installed a sound card and hooked up a surround sound system to ours. Wow, what a difference that made.
Pop
Yeah, the sound sure makes it nice. Surround sound is incredible. I don't have fancy speakers hooked up right now. I probably won't go out and purchase any either. Maybe I'll stumble across a good deal somewhere...who knows?
When Jenni and I visited some friend in Nebraska a year or so ago, they had a wide screen high definition television with surround sound in the room. He had me sit right in the center of the speakers ( I guess it was kind of the sweet spot for the sound) and put on an action movie. Whoa! It was wild! It seemed like you were right in the middle of the action and could hear things coming up behind you.
I guess I haven't noticed not being able to see the screen from an angle. I'll have to get back to you on that one. It is a 15 inch and looks much clearer than my old 13 inch CRT did.
The hard drive is partitioned three ways. If I remember correctly, the C: drive is 30 gigs (windows system is stored here), the D: drive is 190 gigs (whatever I want goes here), and the E: drive is 10 gigs(this is the restore partition in case of a system crash). So the whole drive is around 230 gigs.
The system has been working great so far. (crossing my fingers)
Pop, I guess I should have asked you if the trucking thing is still a go?
The company hasn't called me back so I'm guessing they chose someone else. Thats the way things go sometimes. You have to get a little rain now and then to make the flowers grow. Thanks for asking :) Pop
Justin that sounds really nice. We do have high speed but I think my computer actually slows it down. We are using an old Dell Inspiron laptop that Sara's sister and her husband gave us when they upgraded. My old desktop died I guess about six months ago. I think this laptop is a 600 mhz and has 5 gigs. Pretty lame I know but it works.
Pop you should apply at Utiliquest. You can apply online here http://www.utiliquest.com/site/Careers/tabid/146/Default.aspx. They have several offices in Virginia.
Luke, the closest Utiliquest location is in Gastonia NC. 135 miles to the south. That would be a bit of a stretch. Thanks for the suggestion...
Pop
That's not right. The website lists an office in richmond and I think there is one in fairfax too.
This link lists five offices in Virginia:
http://www.utiliquest.com/site/Home/Conta
ctUs/tabid/108/Default.aspx#Virginia
Luke...not lame at all. My old pc was a 300 Mhz. So you stillhave that beat. And a laptop to boot. Cool. What happened to your old desktop, might I ask?
Richmond is the next closest but unfortunately it's almost twice as far away. 262 miles. Eight miles farther and it would be exactly twice as far.
Pop
Ok. I didn't realize you were so far from Richmond. Oh well. Justin - my monitor burnt out and then the hard drive crashed and would not come back up. Sara's brother in law tried to work on it but no luck. It was a 600 mhz also.
Post a Comment
<< Home