Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Almost finished...

9 Comments:

At 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Now thats a good looking floor. Can't tell if the commode is there yet but man, good job!
Pop

 
At 7:27 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Thanks! I'm trying to get the commode in tonight. I set the bowl already but I am concerned about a hairline crack in the tank. I don't know if it is an actual leak but there is definately a visible line that is both on the inside and the outside of the tank on the bottom corner. I'm thinking of maybe putting some JB weld on the inside over the crack. I did a little reading about cracked tanks online and everthing said to replace it but I'd rather not. What do you think?

 
At 7:46 PM , Blogger Sara said...

JB weld's website seems to suggest that it will work. Porcelain is one of the recommended surfaces. That is some amazing stuff.

 
At 12:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used JB Weld a number of times. Once on a radiator and another time I used it to seal up a hole in the transmission on our Ford Taurus. It doesn't tell you on the package but I've always used the heat from an electric light bulb to assist in the drying process. It seems to cause the material to become harder and reduces the drying time. Good luck on fixing it.
Pop

 
At 6:32 PM , Blogger Sara said...

I put the JB weld on tonight. I'm going to give it about 24 hrs before I try to fill the tank. I'll see if I can find a light cord.

 
At 10:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cooool!
Pop

 
At 9:31 AM , Blogger Sara said...

Turned the water on this morning and there are no leaks.

 
At 11:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think the crack was there before you started or did you bump it when you took it apart and did you seal it only from the inside so that it doesn't show or was the crack in the back or underneath where it didn't matter?
Pop

 
At 9:16 AM , Blogger Sara said...

It may have been there because it was not very noticeable. The crack was only a hairline so it was only visible if you looked at from just the right angle. It's a pretty long crack though - it runs from bottom left front corner all the way underneath to the first bolt that holds the tank on. It is visible from the outside but like I said it doesn't really stand out. I put a bunch of JB weld on the inside and on the outside what I did was to fill the crack with JB weld and then wiped off the excess so that only the actual crack was filled. It seemed to work. The bathroom is finished as far as I'm concerned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home